9) People Food is for People
When selecting alternatives to commercial pet treats, it is imperative to remember that human food is very calorically dense, and usually unsuitable for our furry friends. Plain rice cakes can be broken into small pieces and given as "cookies". Other than grapes and raisins, which should never be given, most fruits and vegetables are safe to give your pets. Pets should never be given seeds from fruits, sunflower seeds or nuts, as these cannot pass easily through the digestive tract. A small amount of peanut butter can be used to disguise pills, but not as a dietary staple. Why? Here are some more fun facts from Dr. Ernie Ward's book "Chow Hounds":
- 1/2 tablespoon of Jif Creamy Peanut Butter for a 40lb dog is the same as is eating a McDonald's Sausage Patty
- 1/2 of an Oscar Meyer Beef Frank for a 10lb dog is like us eating three hot dogs with ketchup and mustard
- 1/4 of a plain bagel for a 20lb dog is like us eating four homemade brownies
- One cup of cooked pasta for an 80lb dog is like us eating a Burger King Original Whopper Junior with Cheese
Processed foods should never be given to our pets. Truth be told, they are not good for us either.