Sabal Chase Animal Clinic

Sabal Chase Animal Clinic
Click here for our web site!

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Holiday Hazards Part 4 - Seasonal Plants

Holiday Hazards - Seasonal Plants

Lilies, holly, mistletoe, and poinsettias have all been associated with toxic reactions in pets.  While many scholars disagree on which parts of the plants are dangerous and the types of levels that are toxic, it is best to keep your pets away from seasonal plants while the scientists slug it out.

Pine needles can cause mouth sores and digestive problems, so keep pets away from the Christmas tree, and don’t let them drink from the water in which the tree is placed.

Most importantly...HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Holiday Hazards Part 3 - Fatty or Toxic Foods

Holiday Hazards - Fatty or Toxic Foods

While many of us grew up giving bones and scraps to dogs, these are actually very dangerous for our pets.  Fatty foods can cause a serious medical condition called pancreatitis.  Bones cause problems for pets by impacting in the intestines or perforating them.  Secure trash that has been in contact with food.  Tinfoil, twine, and grease-soaked paper towels are just a few of the holiday mishaps that routinely darken our door.

Many common holiday goodies are toxic to pets.  The  two main culprits are nuts and chocolate. While some nuts, such as peanuts, do not contain toxins, they are difficult to digest, and can lodge in the intestines of smaller pets.  Dark chocolate, particularly baking chocolate, is especially dangerous, and can cause seizures and death.

Friday, December 13, 2013

Holiday Hazards Part 2

Lights and Candles

Shiny, dangly lights are lots of fun for our pets, but carry risks of choking, burns, and electrocution.  Teach pets that the Christmas tree and lights are off limits, and spray cords with a foul tasting product such as Bitter Yuck to reinforce the message.  Place burning candles where pets cannot be burned by them or knock them over.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Our December Pet of the Month is Owen!

December Pet of the Month

Our December Pet of the Month is Owen the Wonder Pug! Owen is 4 years old and a frequent guest here at Sabal Chase Animal Clinic. He is the star of his own Facebook page at

Owen lives life to the fullest, enjoying every single holiday! 

Friday, December 6, 2013

Holiday Hazards Part 1

In the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, it is very easy to overlook some of the hidden dangers to our pets.  Here are some of the most common hazards that can potentially spoil the most wonderful time of the year.

Tinsel and Ribbon

While not toxic, tinsel is very appealing to pets, especially cats.  If swallowed, it can wrap around the intestines, causing a life threatening injury.  The same is true of decorative ribbons and bows.  If you see your pet trying to pass tinsel or ribbon during the course of a “nature break”,  DO NOT pull it out, as this can cause further complications.  Seek veterinary care immediately.